News Notices Hurasia & Newsletter
News
Keep up to date on the latest for our advocacy and
human rights-based development activities

HUMA Dolls Campaign for Nepalese children(2011.12.24)

• Admin

bbs_activitynews__20121218153417_1.jpg

What I experienced in the HUMA Dolls Campaign

First Story_ Yunju Lee from SAWL

For vacation, I started a meaningful volunteer work with UNESCO club, SAWL, which was the ‘HUMA Doll Campaign’. HUMA dolls, deriving from Human Asia, are hand-made dolls which are adapted, or sold, to the sponsors after the makers name them. The money from adoption is spent to help the vulnerable social groups. Our club, in fact, planned to do ‘Brother Doll’ making event a few months ago, but sadly, could not manage to finish it after hesitating too much. However, Human Asia came to support us to participate in doll-making event just in time, persuading all the members of our club to decide to participate in the campaign.

At first, it was hard to make clothes for the dolls, and I pricked my fingers with a needle many times because of my clumsy sewing. However, because of the help from instructors from ‘Rucy and friends’, I was able to finish my dolls. My friends from the club all doubted that anyone would adopt the dolls I made, but after all the efforts I had put, I fell in love with HUMA dolls so much that I thought to adopt them for myself if no one would adopt the dolls. 

After finishing the dolls, we wanted to do a meaningful activity with HUMA dolls, and we came up with a campaign, ‘Let’s adopt HUMA dolls and help Nepalese children.’ Intending to donate money raised from the campaign, we searched for more details about HUMA dolls and Nepalese children. I didn’t have much interest in Nepal before, but as I researched into Nepal, I was surprised to see how serious Nepal’s real situation was. Particularly a picture of a nine-year-old Nepalese girl’s hand, which I found, made me cry a lot.  Despite her youth, her hands were full of blisters and wrinkles like those of an old lady’s.  I looked back to my past and felt sorry that I complained and whined about things so trivial. 

Also, I felt guilty that I was too ignorant of the situation in Nepal. I decided to care for countries that received no attention from the press and look for what I could do for those countries. Because I wanted to let my friends and seniors know about the Nepal’s situation, we decided to open an event on the coming Monday and Tuesday. Expecting more people to come and see the event, we chose the place in front of cafeteria where many people pass by.  I put summary about Nepal in one page and wrote down the details of HUMA dolls on another page, making two pickets to post before the cafeteria. I also posted a notice on the wall in each classroom. I could not afford much time but it was worth it to be busy posting promotion materials in the early mornings and letting people be aware of Nepal’s actual conditions.

On the event day, I dressed in a suit, arranged the dolls, and explained what the event was about to those who came to look around. When students who didn’t seem to have much interest in this kind of matter came to see the event, I could see all my efforts were very valuable. Teachers paid close attentions to our event, and many of them adopted our dolls. Even though many dolls were left out with us at the end, the event, for its own sake, was worthy enough, as it increased people’s awareness of Nepal and HUMA dolls. I hope to participate in such an activity another time and will keep paying attention to Nepalese children.

Second Story_ Ye-in Lee from SAWL

During the club ‘UNESCO’ meeting, there came up an idea to make ‘HUMA dolls’.  I was worried at first, but then I found myself completing a doll with helps from the instructors and my friends.  I really did my best to make the doll with red eyes, taking all the needle pricks on my fingers.  For we made the dolls on our own, we could not help loving the dolls so much that some of us even called the dolls ‘our babies’ and treated them as our younger siblings. It was not easy to dress up the doll and attach hair to it all at once but it surely was very pleasurable once I finished my doll.  When I named the doll ‘Annie’, my English name, I really felt as if I had earned a real sister.

First, we decided to display the dolls for adoption at school. Though the adoption cost was 30,000 won, which was quite expensive for students to pay, many warm-hearted students actually bought the dolls hoping to help Nepalese children. The more important thing was that there were many students who decided to help Nepalese children living in difficult conditions regardless of the ability to afford to buy the dolls. It was possible because we related the HUMA dolls to individual Nepalese children, letting friends know about Nepalese children; we actually attached one Nepalese kid’s profile on each doll to make people regard the doll as the child attached. The rest of the dolls will be displayed through HUMA Doll website. My doll was not adopted in the event held at school.  I wish she would find a good parent. Now the word ‘HUMA Dolls’ sounds very familiar to me after all I have gone through. By making the doll, I found true love that should be given to the children. I now can love the children, which I’m supporting, even more; I will treat them as not as sponsored children but as ‘brothers and sisters.’  Why don’t you become a big sister or brother for those poor children and give them a true love?